Benefits of Gua Sha therapy, facial massage and lifting tool
GUA SHA stone facial massage and lifting tool
What is Gua Sha?
Gua sha is a traditional Chinese medicine practice in which a tool is used to scrape people's skin in order to produce light petechiae.
Practitioners believe that Gua Sha releases unhealthy body matter from blood stasis in painful, tired, stiff or injured muscle areas to stimulate new flow of oxygenated blood to the areas, thereby promoting repair, regeneration, healing and recovery of metabolic cells.
Gua Sha is sometimes referred to as "scraping", "spooning" or "coining" by English speakers. The treatment has also been known by the French name, tribo-effleurage. Gua Sha has no known health benefits and can have adverse effects, if used incorrectly.
It is also used as a point-pressure facial massage and a facial lifting tool. At LILIXIR, we recommend guasha facial massage to enhance your beauty rituals by promoting the blood circulation and lymphatic drainage, smoothing your skin and leaving your face lifted and radiant after use.
The use of this technique "invigorates blood flow, releases heat-toxins, activates numerous body locations, and stimulates an immunological response delivering good cells to the area." In other words, you're exerting active pressure on your skin to expel the undesired toxins and liquids that are residing beneath it.
Some users might say that Gua Sha facial massage is better than Botox and it's a natural and non-invasive rejuvenating solution.
As a treatment in traditional Chinese medicine, Gua Sha utilizes a base (facial oil, lotion or water) and a smooth material (jade plates, metal plates and even spoons) to stimulate a specific area of the body.
Gua Sha is not limited to just the face, it can be used on your neck and cleavage, hands, back and shoulders as well.
Gua Sha skin therapy benefits:
Ultrasonic pulses are created when friction occurs as the tool scrapes across the skin. Healing is improved with a higher pulse and frequency. Ultrasonic pulses with a high frequency are more effective at breaking up scar tissue. The muscles, tissues, and blood vessels can be stimulated and vibrated more effectively at the greater pace.
Why practice Gua Sha facial massage?
- Promotes blood circulation unveiling an ageless glow
- Promotes lymphatic drainage
- Smooths out facial expressions and re-educates facial muscles to lift, tone and increase skin elasticity
- Enhances product absorption
- Awakens cells and accelerates healing and clearing up the skin
- Works by engaging tissue to eliminate fluid build-up in the lymph nodes (which can give an impression of a more contoured face)
- It has calming properties and aids in meditation, reflection, and self-love
- Good for all skin types. Perfect for mature, dry and sensitive skin.
How to use Gua Sha stone for a facial massage :
1. Start with a clean face and prep skin with a facial oil or serum.
2. Keep the tool flat against the face and begin with the forehead.
3. Gently scrape in an upwards motion from the eyebrows to the hairline.
4. Move to the cheeks and scrape in an outwards motion starting from the crease of the nose until the ear.
5. Move to the jawline and use the end of the Gua Sha tool with the two curves.
6. Start from the chin and scrape until the ear.
7. Gently massage the Gua Sha tool into the ear to release tension.
8. For the under-eye area, very gently scrape the Gua Sha from the inner corner of the eye outwards to the temple.
9. Because the area is so sensitive, it is important to only apply light pressure.
10. Sanitize or clean it with warm water and soap before and after each use.
It is always advisable to have your own personal Gua Sha tool (like a toothbrush), and not share it with anyone. Also, be careful while using it with oils, it can get slippery and easily dropped and broken into pieces.
Sign up to LILIXIR Newsletter for more educational content like this and don't miss any future blog posts. Comment below if this was helpful!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.